Thursday 17 September 2015

Yas Cat and Its Intertextuality

For my first blog post, I’d like to share the "Yas Cat" video that I think is absolutely hilarious and surprisingly relates to our discussion of society’s obsession with cats. 

This short 6-second vine depicts a cat owner asking its cat if it wants a treat, which the cat then responds with, “yas.”

The slang term, “yas,” has grown and become a popular culture phenomenon, and thus it can be found in various viral videos and memes all over the Internet. Urban dictionary defines the term yas as “an expression used to make others aware of extreme satisfaction.”

This video demonstrates the use of intertextuality by utilizing a simple video of a cat with the addition of the over voice of the popular saying “yas”. The Internet has allowed amateur users to combine texts to create a new and better text. In this case, the “yas cat” gives into cat-obsessed viewers’ needs as well as the humorous pop culture allusion of the saying “yas.”

One of my good friends sent me this video a few months ago because he knows how much I love cats and love to say “yas,” and to this day I still embarrassingly find this video hilarious.


Hopefully I’m not the only one who laughed at this!

No comments:

Post a Comment