Monday 21 September 2015

Skype Laughter Chain

Skype Laughter Chain

The video which I chose to share on this weeks blog post is known as  the Skype Laughter chain.
I originally saw this video years ago on the Ellen Show after it went viral and for an oddly long time would watch it almost everyday, I personally enjoy this video because it always lifts my spirits no matter when I watch it. The video showcases how people of different ages, from different backgrounds, and so forth share their laughter with family and friends online during the age of the "Skype sensation" (which even though is now far from relevant can still be enjoyed). It is a video which showcases just how simplistic humour can be and how universally easy it is to share around the world.

2 comments:

  1. So glad that you chose to share this video! I saw this years ago as well, and still to this day it makes me die laughing. It is such a simple concept, people laughing at other people laughing - yet it perfectly displays the infectious nature of people's laugh.

    From a marketing standpoint, I think this was a fantastic tactic developed by Skype to illustrate how a social media platform, can affect virtual human interaction. The video reminds consumers that Skype can create happy and comfortable space for people to connect with friends and loved ones.

    I think it is important to consider the levels of engagement here as well (different ages, locations and cultures) and the way they all come together/are articulated through a video conferencing system like Skype. How does Skype connect different geographical spaces? Or how does Skype/the laughter chain illustrate the social practices of people? Specifically, of other cultures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fantastic! I think I am going to use this in class today to talk about Baym's concepts of social mediation. I also love your comment, Christianna, which we shall also use as a springboard for discussion. Was this video produced by Skype itself?

    ReplyDelete