Monday 21 September 2015

It’s Great to be a Laurier Golden Hawk

Hey Golden Hawks! I initially found it difficult to decide what to post for my first blog post because recently there have been numerous amazing videos posted on the Internet. However, with homecoming just around the corner next weekend I thought I would rewind a few years and post a video that I saw on social media outlet YouTube in my first year at Laurier.

Considering every one of us are Laurier students, this made me reflect on the outgoing and entertaining nature of our home away from home, Wilfrid Laurier University.

With the majority of our class being female, I thought that everyone would get a good laugh out of this video that has an outstanding 82,000 plus views in a short three years from it being posted online. The classic pictures with statue Wilf, ensuring no one steps on the hawk and the outrageous and dreaded Starbucks line in the concourse are only a few of the many characteristics mentioned in this comical yet accurate video of ‘What Laurier Girls Say’.

If you have not watched this video before, I as an honoured Laurier student, highly recommend you take two minutes out of your day to watch this hilarious video.

Personally, the reason I enjoy this video is because of its comical yet accurate portrayal depicting the life of a Laurier student, particularly girls on campus. I can assure you that I have personally witnessed and even said some things illustrated in this video, thus my ability to relate the Laurier culture through this shared online video constructs it to be a desirable video which I believe all Laurier students should watch.

P.S. If you enjoy the video be sure to check out the twitter account launched by the creators of the video @LaurierGirlsSay for some extra laughs. Have a great day Golden Hawks!


Below is the link to the video! Enjoy J.



9 comments:

  1. I love this video, it makes me laugh every time I have watched it and it is perfect timing for homecoming this upcoming weekend. It amazes me how many people can relate to this video and how many views it has accumulated. The video represents Laurier’s culture with all the different mannerisms and “rules” we follow, for example every Laurier student knows not to step on the hawk or it will be a problem. I’m definitely proud to be a Laurier Golden Hawk and cannot wait for this upcoming weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Alexandria!

    I am so happy you posted this video because I always laugh every time I see it. I don't know if its the accuracy of the video or the actor that makes it so funny. I think this video will last forever and be known throughout the years. I also loved how you posted this right in time for homecoming! There will definitely be a lot of drunk people imitating these lines for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Alexandria!
    Haha itt had been awhile since I first saw this video, but it is definitely something all students at Laurier can relate too.. especially the "laurier wi fi isn't working" haha something that still is commonly said and dealt with on campus. The video sheds light on the humor and everyday life representing Laurier's culture. Perfect time to share this video with Homecoming weekend fast approaching and when we take most pride in our university! Love it thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alexandria, thank you for posting this video!
    I fell in love with this video when I first watched it in first year, and I am amazed at the amount of views it has received. I definitely agree with your post, and thus the majority of Laurier girls can relate very closely to this video.
    Since we have a fairly small community at Laurier, compared to other universities, I believe that this video embodies our unique culture. For instance, I think almost every Laurier student has cringed at the sight of a fellow student stepping on "The Hawk."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alexandria, thank you for posting this video!
    I fell in love with this video when I first watched it in first year, and I am amazed at the amount of views it has received. I definitely agree with your post, and thus the majority of Laurier girls can relate very closely to this video.
    Since we have a fairly small community at Laurier, compared to other universities, I believe that this video embodies our unique culture. For instance, I think almost every Laurier student has cringed at the sight of a fellow student stepping on "The Hawk."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Alexandria!

    I remember watching this video in my first year and re-watching it now is just as funny as it was the first time I’ve watched it. There are definitely some things I can relate to in this video and some that I have witnessed, which makes this video even funnier. The best kind of videos are the ones we can relate to in my opinion. It is definitely a good representation of the Laurier community.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Alexandria!

    I think this is an awesome post because like you said homecoming is just around the corner and it also shows how social media helps create communities. I would like to believe that I myself do not fall victim to these stereotypes but its always fun to laugh at yourself and I think this video does a really good job of bringing Laurier students together and sharing on common interests.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm happy you all enjoyed the video! I know as a Laurier student this is one that every one enjoys so I am happy that I was able to bring it back to the class blog to share some memories we all have being apart of the Laurier culture!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Still relevant today!

    It's cool that there are social cues that are understood and generally agreed upon University wide. Speaks to the ways in which we place value and reinforce certain ideals.

    ReplyDelete