Thursday 17 September 2015

Paint with Donald Trump - A Useless Viral Website

For my first blog post I have decided to share with you this weird and useless website called “Paint with Donald Trump,” if the hyperlink doesn't work, here it is for you to copy & paste into your search bar: http://paintwithdonaldtrump.com

The website allows you to drag a variety of close crop pictures of Donald Trump making his most charming facial expressions across a blank white screen to create a “painting.” The painting can then be saved and shared to Twitter and Facebook.

I found this website via the Mashable Snapchat Story, and I chose to share it with the class not only because it is timely, given that there was a GOP debate the other night, but because I believe it demonstrates the way that through social media, anything can go viral. This website is useless. Despite that, the curators at Mashable found it worth sharing and for some reason so did I and presumably many others, and now maybe you all will as well.

I think it is interesting that social media created this space that a website like this can exist without anyone really asking why, or even why not.


Happy painting!

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nicole,

    I am really inspired by your post, and therefore, I created a picture with the website you provided. When I make my weekly blog post, I will try and upload the photo that I created. (This website truly is... fascinating).

    In response to your post, I do think that the site is somewhat useless. It does however provide some sort of message, and that message is fairly clear, "Donald Trump is not to be taken seriously, his campaign for presidency is a joke, let's all laugh about it while posting pictures made up of his face." Therefore, although this website is useless to the users, I assume the publisher finds some use in it, as it discredits Donald Trump as a joke... in a great way.

    Anyway, I'm going to go make some more photos with the big DT's face.

    Bye.

    Jamie...

    ReplyDelete