Monday 21 September 2015

Are These Pumpkin Spice Products Real Or Fake? - BuzzFeed Quiz









As I was doing my daily BuzzFeed scroll, I was overwhelmed by useless quizzes including the laughable quiz titled "Are These Pumpkin Spice Products Real Or Fake?” I thought this quiz was hilarious as we are now entering the highly instagrammed "pumpkin spice season” also known as fall. This quiz captures the ridiculous trend that comes once a year and takes every “basic girl” by storm. By presenting fabricated pumpkin spice products as well as real products, this buzzfeed quiz plays along with this exaggerated trend. The quiz in theory would be easy, but you really never know what product exists these days. The funniest product I found was the pumpkin spice Sinex, as if shoving a pumpkin spice product up your nostril will relieve you from your flu like symptoms. Although this quiz is an obvious jab at popular cultures’ fascination with pumpkin spice products, it really demonstrates the way in which companies and products go above and beyond to cater to a certain demographic. One sad realization I had when looking through the comment section of this quiz is that people really do wish fabricated products such as pumpkin scented tampons, existed in real life. AS if that is a good idea for anyone involved.


I challenge you guys to take this quiz and see which products you think are real and which are not.





3 comments:

  1. First off I just wanted to say how much I love this post and your analysis of the quiz!
    I can personally say that I have bought into this pumpkin spice craze with the popular pumpkin spice latte from Starbucks just like many others influenced by advertisements and social media these days. However, I can say that it was not my favourite drink from Starbuck AT ALL.

    It is fascinating to see how popular trends in our lives have turned something into a commodity so quickly through things such as the Internet, social media apps and advertisements viewed daily. With this being said I was honestly surprised at some of the products displayed in the quiz that were products of this so called ‘pumpkin spice’ craze. Knowing that things such as pumpkin spice gum and pumpkin spice pringles exist exhibits how companies are willing to make almost anything coincide with a popular trend or fad at any given time. This displays their want and need to fit in with “what’s hot and popular” at that time, thus allowing themselves to generate revenue for themselves as individuals continue buy into the trend to order fit in with the rest of society.

    Great post I really enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gabrielle, thanks so much for posting this Buzzfeed quiz! I really enjoyed your interpretation on the pumpkin spice trend that comes around once a year. I agree that the quiz demonstrates not only how companies cater to the the likes and dislikes of the public, but also the great lengths that they go to in order to meet those needs. I wonder if companies such as Pringles enjoy creating such products, or if they feel as though it is ridiculous. In the case of potato chips, I cannot see the pumpkin spice flavour being a big seller.

    Your post also touches on how much attention "pumpkin spice" season receives. In relation to Starbuck's pumpkin spice latte, it is always for the fall season that articles come out stating that the latte does not in fact contain any pumpkin. I feel as though this should no longer be breaking news, and that we should focus more on the health of Starbuck's premium drinks year round. The actual ingredients in a pumpkin spice latte include preservatives and sulphates, Monsanto Milk, as well as toxic levels of sugar. These ingredients make me wonder how many of the mainstream pumpkin spice products out there actually include real pumpkin in the ingredients. I would assume that majority of them do not. What do you think?

    Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a great post! Personally, I'm obsessed with brand management so when fall season comes along and people go nuts over everything pumpkin spiced I think about the ideal they associate it with. I mean, the fall season is great. Sweater weather, right? There are people who dream about this season three seasons of the year and soak it up during whatever span mother nature decides to dish it out.
    At the same time it kind of touches on the Utopian theory that Dr. Herman brought up in class, While we imagine what we see the world as, and how imagine ourselves in it speaks to how we express ourselves and communicate with others. Great. While the utopian images shows us what is possible, I wonder if this is what every grabs a hold of during pumpkin season or even when they think about it... What's possible...on a mild fall afternoon, in a park, reading a book, with my cute puppy etc. I wonder if it's these scenarios and associating ideas that come to mind. What's your perfect fall day look like? How does it relate to the brand management of the pumpkin spice latte? It's an interesting thought.

    ReplyDelete