Sunday 20 September 2015

360 Camera by Casey Neistat

For my first blog post I have decided to share a YouTube video that was in my subscription feed about a week ago. Before I begin, let me tell you something about myself: I am a YouTube fanatic. Yes, I know its lame, but there is something about the way it has become such a powerful tool to connect to an audience and display ones creative journey. Now, how does this relate to the video I am about to share with you? It shows the creative advancements of video technology and video quality on a social media platform.


There are two videos I want to share, both by the same creator, Casey Neistat. In the videos, Neistat tests out two different 360 cameras. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KnNVK-udTU was shot in 400K which produces a lower quality display, while https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_zW8otHs_M was shot in 8000K. What is so fascinating about these videos, and why I wanted to share them in this blog, is the ability to physically interact with the video on a mobile device. By moving your phone around, one is able to control the angle of the shot they want. When I first discovered this, I began to walk in constant circles, exploring and analysing the images. I just could not get enough of it. Now, there are still a lot of advancements that need to be done with this sort of technology, however, I think this is a great start and something worth checking out, 

1 comment:

  1. Cool post Lauren! I feel like these cameras have become so common in all kinds of technology. One of the key ideas of the cameras is of course, perspective. It gives the viewer a very realistic feeling and view of whatever is being filmed. To me the realism is the most intriguing aspect of these cameras.

    To show how common it is being use what really came to mind when I saw your title was the fact that a friends car now has a 360 camera that shows the top view of the car. Now I do not really understand how the car manages to get this view to show the driver but I feel as though they must use one of these 360 cameras or satellite.

    Cool stuff.

    ReplyDelete